Moving to Portugal
Find Portugal's embassies in other countries
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original passport (in color)
Copy of visa
TAX card copy
Declaration as per European Union regulations
Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
Photocopy of air ticket or declaration
Photocopy of work contract (if applicable)
Proof of application for residence permit
Copy of identity card (diplomats)
The original passport must state the place of residence abroad.
Photocopy of air ticket or declaration must include details (date of arrival, etc.).
The baggage certificate, “Certificado de Bagagem,” must state that all the items are used and have been in the owner of the goods’ possession for more than 6 months (do not show values).
The baggage certificate must state that the owner of the goods has been living in the origin country for more than 12 months.
Residence certificate “Atestado de Residencia” can be obtained in the Parish Council by the owner of the goods’ residence area in Portugal; it must state that the owner of the goods is living at the new address for no longer than 4 months.
Portuguese nationals are not required to provide proof of application for a residence permit.
If the owner of the goods is not a citizen of the origin country, proof of residency for a period of at least 12 months is required; this can be proven through a photocopy of identity card, certificate issued by the Portuguese Consulate or employment contract from the origin country.
Transferees must be present for Customs clearance and must provide an exact date of arrival in Portugal.
Although normal goods are duty free, Custom’s broker fees are generally required and are based ad valorem.
Port handling charges and warehouse fees may be included in Custom’s broker fees but can be expensive; estimates should be requested from agent prior to import.
Used household goods are considered duty-free if they have been in the owner of the goods’ possession for a period of at least 6 months and are not for sale after the shipment has been released.
Goods must arrive within 6 months of owner of the goods’ arrival in the destination country.
Inheritance requires a certified copy of the death certificate as well as the will, to allow for duty free import.
- New items still in packaging
- Essences for regional wine counterfeit
- Systems for copying mail stamping systems
- Fish if it is disemboweled (cannot exceed 20 kg)
- Medicines and foodstuffs harmful to national health and drugs
- Powdered milk for babies, food for children and special medical food (including pet food) may be allowed if not requiring refrigeration and with original, unbroken seal (unless in use at the time),
- Quantity must not exceed the weight of 10 kg originating from Croatia, Faroe Islands, Greenland and Iceland, and of 2 kg if originating in other countries
- Coats, fur and leather shoes made of protected animals (special authorization required)
- Hunting and civilian guns only (guns needs a property title and also need to be mentioned on the Consulate certificate)
- Firearms, cut and thrust weapons, and any instrument without specific application
- Meat and milk, and any by-products thereof, from non-European Union countries, with the exception of limited amounts from Andorra, Croatia, the Faroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland and small amounts of specific products from other countries;
- Check with agent for details.
- Protected species and products thereof as listed by the Washington Convention (CITES).
- For example, ivory, tortoise shells, coral, reptile skins, and wood from Amazonian forests.
- Pornographic material / objects
- Alcohol / spirits
- Firearms / weapons
Consulate at Home (Post Mail)
- Signed and dated Declaration (must be in Portuguese, see example below). Add 2 (two) copies of the Declaration (the original plus two copies); (The copies do not need to be notarized);
- Include 3 (three) copies of the list of goods;
- Copy of valid Portuguese ID Card OR copy of valid Portuguese Passport (personal data page) OR EU country Passport (personal data page) OR third country Passport (personal data page);
- Proof of US residency (for example: US driver's license or utility bills);
- Cover letter explaining the service you require and your contacts (email and cellphone number);
- Self-addressed postmarked envelope, with a minimum size of 10x13;
- Check payable to "Portuguese Consulate".
- Make sure you send all of the required documents. Incomplete applications will not be accepted and will be returned.
- The list of goods must include information of maker, model and serial number for all electronic equipment.
Sample Baggage Request / Declaration
EXAMPLE OF DECLARATION
Eu, _____________________, portador do passaporte nº _______, emitido em _________, aos ___/___/_____, para os devidos efeitos declaro por minha honra que os artigos abaixo mencionados fazem parte do recheio da minha residência há mais de ___ (meses/anos), sita em ___________ (morada), onde tenho residência principal há mais de doze meses consecutivos, que estão pagos na totalidade e que irei transferir a minha residência principal para Portugal, para a morada ________________, no prazo de ___ (meses/dias).
San Francisco, ___/___/_____
Lista / List of goods:
1 Televisão/ Television Set
2 Frigorífico / Fridge
3 Bicicletas / Bicycles